Why Rail Industry Guidelines for EDI?
The Rail Industry Guidelines were created to speed the development and implementation of electronic commerce in three ways:
- They represent a commitment by the rail industry to a common format for electronic commerce.
- They arrange the ASC X12 documentation into a self-contained and abbreviated format.
- They concentrate on the portion of the standards which are pertinent to the rail industry.
Obtaining the Rail Industry Guidelines
The Rail Industry Guidelines for the current version are now available on this Web site. Select from the following documents to access basic information about the guidelines, upgrade strategies, and the individual transaction sets:
- Introduction and Overview Addresses the basics of EDI within ASC X12 and the rail industry; recommended for those new to EDI.
- Upgrade Strategy This section should be reviewed annually.
- EDI Transaction Sets Provided in PDF format. The Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view PDF files. It may be downloaded free of charge from Adobe’s Web site.
See EDI Transactions by Road for more information on which railroads use which EDI transaction sets.